Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Become a Mentor, Be there, Encourage Someone

I was blessed to have a mentor my senior year of high school, which was something I never thought about before. At first it was really just another way to get out of class and wrap up this long senior year that I as was ready to be over, so that I could "get on with my life." Of course now I am ready for life to slow down and give me time to catch up on my goals  and achievements I have yet to accomplish. Unexpectedly, this mentor became an outlet, even though I didn't feel comfortable letting everything out, it was enough to know that someone, a human, was listening and actually seemed to care. Now I can see that God is so much more than I thought at that age. But it is still good to have that earthly contact and connection with someone that can either relate or at least is able to care enough about you to listen and give advise where needed.

Just give it a try, it can be just a kid in the neighborhood, at church, and a near school or community center program. You never know the impact you will have in their lives. It can be extraordinary for you and your mentee. http://www.bbbsatl.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=68&Itemid=69


Proverbs 1:1-7
To know wisdom and instruction,
    to understand words of insight,
to receive instruction in wise dealing,
    in righteousness, justice, and equity;
to give prudence to the simple,
    knowledge and discretion to the youth—
Let the wise hear and increase in learning,
    and the one who understands obtain guidance,
to understand a proverb and a saying,
    the words of the wise and their riddles.
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge;
    fools despise wisdom and instruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment